Wednesday 30 September 2009

Nobody puts Baby in a corner


Watching "Dirty Dancing" the other night for like the millionth time,and I still love it! I've seen the stage version twice and I'm thinking about going to see it again next year. It's probably one of my favourite films as I never get tired from watching it. 

Originally a low-budget film by a new studio and with no major stars (at the time), Dirty Dancing became a massive hit. It has earned $300 million worldwide, and was the first film to sell over one million copies on home video. The Dirty Dancing soundtrack is one of the best selling soundtracks of all time, generating two multi-platinum albums and multiple singles, including, "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", which won both the Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Original Song, as well as a Grammy Award for best duet. In 2004, the film spawned a sequel, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, as well as a stage version in 2005 which has had sellout performances in Australia, Germany, and the UK, and opened in its first North American city, Toronto, in November 2007. The 20th anniversary of the film's release was on August 21, 2007, and was marked with increased press attention, a 20th-anniversary DVD, and a new Dirty Dancing computer game.

I still get goosebumps watching the finale!


Watch dance videos and dance lessons at DanceJam.com

My favourite quote, except for of course the title of this post is this one by Baby -

"Me? I'm scared of everything. I'm scared of what I saw, I'm scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you"


With the sad passing of Patrick Swayze, the film seems to have brought people together in sharing their grief. Ever since the news broke that he had passed, message boards have been filled by people re-living their memories of the first time they saw his films.

For me watching Dirty Dancing the other night did feel different from any other time that I had watched it. I felt a sadness for the great talent that has been lost, but yet Patrick Swayze still lives on in his films.


For me there is something about Johnny in that black vest! Yum!

No comments: