Wednesday 5 June 2013

Sarah Hates... CAPTCHA


A CAPTCHA is a program that can generate and grade tests that humans can pass but current computer programs cannot. For example, humans can read distorted text as the one shown below, but current computer programs can't (taken from here)

There is a whole load of spam all over the internet and I do hate it but I hate CAPTCHA too. They say it stops computer programmes from spamming sites but it also seems to stop me from progressing either to leave a blog comment or to pay for an item maybe. There are some that I just cannot read!

I've even had some where the name is a rude word, I've had to type in Bulls*** before and I'll admit I was giggling like a schoolgirl. Also I'm never sure if capitals matter as sometimes it does and other times it doesn't. The number of times I've failed at filling in what appears to be a simple sequence is pretty high and sometimes I do just give up.

Obviously stopping spam is important as it's so annoying going through all the comments on your blog for example but some of the CAPTCHA's are ridiculous! I tend to avoid CAPTCHA's now as the stress is simply excruciating, possibly an over reaction but it's more time that you should be spent doing other things.

The maths ones are much better and I hate maths!

4+3=

 :-)

 

Share

No comments: