Monday 28 September 2009

FA Announce Women's Super League



The FA has announced today an 8 club Women's Super League commencing in 2011, originally this was for 2010 but due to financial uncertainty following UK television broadcasters  Setanta collapse, it has been delayed a year.

The FA hopes this will stop England players leaving for America and FA Chairman Lord Triesman said “The launch of The FA Women’s Super League will help us take female football to a new and unprecedented level, increasing overall participation in what is now officially the most popular female team sport in the country.”

This all seems a very positive move for Women's football and I'm sure they are under even more pressure with Gerry Sutcliffe's (England's Sports Minister) admittance last week that the FA is failing to meet the criteria set for them four years ago.

The application process starts in October 2009 and I will keeping a keen eye to see how this progresses.

Also I'm going to The London FA Women's Football Forum on the 14th October at White Hart Lane, there will be a guest panel of Jacqui Oatley (BBC Radio and Match of the Day commentator), Rachel Pavlou (National Women’s & Girls' Football Development Manager) plus others – including an Female England International Player.

The London FA have seen our posts from last week and are keen for me to do a piece on here about the forum. I've obviously got a few questions of my own but if there is anyone else who wants to know anything; drop me a comment below and I'll be sure to do my hardest to ask for you!



1 comment:

Doonytime said...

Good post.

Liking the upcoming visit to the forum - sounds interesting.

I have no questions at all, but look forward to hearing all about it.

Maybe women's football can finally get greater coverage, encouraging more to take part in the game.